Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: chance of winning a battle

To: Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: chance of winning a battle
From: Gaute B Strokkenes <gs234@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 23:40:37 +0200

On Sun, 15 Jul 2001, Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> 1. As written in a comment in common/combat.c, win_chance gets
> insanely small when units are unevenly matched.  And as noted by
> Trent, it takes considerable time to calculate win_chance (and I
> could not find any way to improve on his algorithm).

Has anyone done any profiling to make sure that this is the case, and
if so would they like to share the results with the rest of us?

It's futile to try come up with improvements unless you _know_ that
it's a bottleneck.

If anyone feels like trying, the gprof and gcc info nodes are great
places to find out how.

--
Big Gaute                               http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~gs234/
..I just walked into th' HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES with fourteen WET