Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: chance of winning a battle

To: Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: chance of winning a battle
From: Trent Piepho <xyzzy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 13:59:37 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> > yep, and vice versa, which one of a stack of units should
> > do the defense. This affects all the fighting in the game very
> > much.
>
> why, the one who has the greatest chance of winning of course :)
> but anyway I think I know an easy solution, just have to check it.

Except not all units are worth the same amount.  A mech infantry has defense
6, 30 hitpoints and a cost of 50, while an aegis cruiser has a defense of 8
and 30 hitpoints, but costs 100.  Is the aegis' chance of winning against some
enemy over twice that of the mech infantry?

> btw, who is "Syela", I cannot find the name in the author's list...

He also went by John Stonebraker.  See my message from two weeks ago about how
he doesn't get the credit he deserves.