Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] map wrap and a new barrier method. was: british isles

To: "martin.mcmahon" <martin.mcmahon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] map wrap and a new barrier method. was: british isles
From: Mike Kaufman <mkaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 10:34:42 -0600 (CST)

I might suggest instead of a barrier 2 glacier tiles wide, you might try
something that looks like this:

  gg gg
  gg gg
  gg gg
  gg gg
  gg gg
  gg gg
  gg gg
  gg gg

a strip of ocean between, which makes it much harder for people to get
across. (you could even make the ocean strip wide enough to make tritreme
crossings hazardous).

Also, I don't know if this has been discussed before, but I think there is
a lot of potential for maps that don't wrap, and I understand that
building that into the code is pretty arduous. An alternative would be
either a new terrain type or perhaps a new special. The terrain type would
prevent movement to that tile.

a change to can_unit_move_to_tile() in server/unittools.c might look
something like:

  if(ptotile->terrain==T_NO_MANS_LAND){
    return 0;
  }

a special would kill that unit, a change to move_unit() in
server/unittools.c could look something like:

  if (map_get_tile(dest_x, dest_y)->special&S_NO_MANS_LAND){
     kill_off_unit_and_any_cargo();
  }

PS: on a related note: does fallout cause any damage to a unit moving over
that tile? I can't find anything in the code. If not, why not? If it, did,
we could just lay down a couple columns  of fallout to accomplish the same
thing as above without a tileset change. If it did a point of HP damage
per turn, 10 columns or so would do the trick.

I think that it is realistic to damage units (except may settlers doing
cleanup) that move over fallout.

--mike