Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: map wrap and a new barrier method. was: british isles

To: Mike Kaufman <mkaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "martin.mcmahon" <martin.mcmahon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: map wrap and a new barrier method. was: british isles
From: Paul Zastoupil <paulz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 08:53:50 -0800

On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 10:34:42AM -0600, Mike Kaufman wrote:

> I might suggest instead of a barrier 2 glacier tiles wide, you might try
> something that looks like this:
>
>   gg gg
>   gg gg
>   gg gg
>   gg gg
>   gg gg
>   gg gg
>   gg gg
>   gg gg
>
> a strip of ocean between, which makes it much harder for people to get
> across. (you could even make the ocean strip wide enough to make tritreme
> crossings hazardous).
>
> Also, I don't know if this has been discussed before, but I think there is
> a lot of potential for maps that don't wrap, and I understand that
> building that into the code is pretty arduous. An alternative would be
> either a new terrain type or perhaps a new special. The terrain type would
> prevent movement to that tile.
>
> a change to can_unit_move_to_tile() in server/unittools.c might look
> something like:
>
>   if(ptotile->terrain==T_NO_MANS_LAND){
>     return 0;
>   }
>
> a special would kill that unit, a change to move_unit() in
> server/unittools.c could look something like:
>
>   if (map_get_tile(dest_x, dest_y)->special&S_NO_MANS_LAND){
>      kill_off_unit_and_any_cargo();
>   }
>
> PS: on a related note: does fallout cause any damage to a unit moving over
> that tile? I can't find anything in the code. If not, why not? If it, did,
> we could just lay down a couple columns  of fallout to accomplish the same
> thing as above without a tileset change. If it did a point of HP damage
> per turn, 10 columns or so would do the trick.
>
> I think that it is realistic to damage units (except may settlers doing
> cleanup) that move over fallout.

Fallout does not damamge units.  This could be an interesting feature.

All of these are really ugly hacks at something that should be fixed
in the code.  I don't think it will be that hard to make maps that
don't wrap.  Unfortunately I have no time to code at the moment.
(What Paulz coding again?  Better "Make your time")

(But my house is coming along fine thankfully.)

--
Paul Zastoupil