Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Non-smallpox ruleset (Minimum distance between cities

To: Daniel Sjölie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Non-smallpox ruleset (Minimum distance between cities to 3 or 4)
From: Jed Davis <jldavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 08 Feb 2001 01:37:11 -0500

Daniel Sjölie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> The solution I feel is generally good in lots of ways is to simply give
> city improvements more power... I submitted a patch doing this some time
> ago... It might have been mixed in with making city founders a seperate
> unit and that might have made some of You less prone to consider it but
> that's not really connected...

I'd also (a couple days ago) thought of giving certain improvements
more power (and lowering the cost), because I don't dislike smallpox
in and of itself so much as seeing all those city improvements go
unused (boring and un`realistic').  Specifically, the ones that give a
percent bonus to some city output would help larger cities more than
smaller cities, and with increased upkeeps could even hurt
smallpox-class cities.  So larger cities would get bonuses to
[hopefully] even the balance of power between strategies, but not
automatic or artificial-seeming bonuses.  Haven't really tried it yet,
though, and I'm not sure what my playing against the AI would show,
anyway...

--Jed

--
"But life wasn't yes-no, on-off.  Life was shades of gray, and rainbows
not in the order of the spectrum."   -- L. E. Modesitt, Jr., _Adiamante_