Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: build on Irix fails

To: Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: build on Irix fails
From: Marcus Lindner <marcx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 04:28:10 +0100

Greg Wooledge wrote:

> Marcus Lindner (marcx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>
> > gcc  -g -O2 -Wall  -o civserver  autoattack.o barbarian.o cityhand.o

> > ../ai/libcivai.a ../intl/libintl.a ../common/libcivcommon.a

> ../ai/libcivai.a  -L/usr/freeware/lib32/libz

> The last argument in the command above gives a directory name
> (/usr/freeware/lib32/libz) -- but I would normally expect this to be
> followed by a parameter that specifies a library name (e.g., -lz).

Hi Greg :)
I wanted to point to any libz* file in the /usr/freeware/lib32 dir
(since the Makefile made by configure pointed to  /usr/freeware/lib/libz*,
while all other libraries point to /usr/freeware/lib32 (which is the way gcc
needs))

I also tried -L/usr/freeware/lib32/ -lz
but the same error occurs :|
I also greped for any lz in the Makefiles and changed them to
-L/usr/freeware/lib32/ -lz,
rebuilt the whole ... same effect

> This could be a problem in Freeciv, or it could be a problem with your
> zlib installation.  (Or both.)  Unfortunately, I know very little about
> Irix (though maybe someone else reading this list knows more).  Please
> check:
>
>   * Does /usr/freeware/lib32/libz contain libz.a?

spider@lhaza 146 > ls /usr/freeware/lib32/libz*
/usr/freeware/lib32/libz.a       /usr/freeware/lib32/libz.so.1
/usr/freeware/lib32/libzvt.so.3
/usr/freeware/lib32/libz.so      /usr/freeware/lib32/libzvt.so

>   * If Irix uses shared libraries, what file extension does it use for
>     them?  Check for a "libz" file with that extension (e.g., "libz.so").
>     Shared libs are quite a bit more complex to deal with, so there may
>     be other things to check if this is the case....
>
>   * Look in config.log (in the top-level freeciv directory) for any clues.
>     If configure created the Makefiles, then it must have thought that it
>     found a working zlib, but then for some reason the correct linker flags
>     were never put into the Makefiles.

this will my next try.

BTW: the gtk-client compiles fine 8)
and works!

greetings
marcx

> --
> *** Please note new address. -->  |  Greg Wooledge
>                                   |  greg@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> "Truth belongs to everybody."     |  http://wooledge.org/~greg/

interesting site!