Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: build on Irix fails

To: Marcus Lindner <marcx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: build on Irix fails
From: Greg Wooledge <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 19:50:40 -0500

Marcus Lindner (marcx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> gcc  -g -O2 -Wall  -o civserver  autoattack.o barbarian.o cityhand.o
> citytools.o cityturn.o civserver.o console.o diplhand.o gamehand.o
> gamelog.o gotohand.o handchat.o mapgen.o maphand.o meta.o plrhand.o
> ruleset.o rulesout.o sernet.o settlers.o spacerace.o stdinhand.o
> unitfunc.o unithand.o unittools.o ../common/libcivcommon.a
> ../ai/libcivai.a ../intl/libintl.a ../common/libcivcommon.a
> ../ai/libcivai.a  -L/usr/freeware/lib32/libz

The last argument in the command above gives a directory name
(/usr/freeware/lib32/libz) -- but I would normally expect this to be
followed by a parameter that specifies a library name (e.g., -lz).

This could be a problem in Freeciv, or it could be a problem with your
zlib installation.  (Or both.)  Unfortunately, I know very little about
Irix (though maybe someone else reading this list knows more).  Please
check:

  * Does /usr/freeware/lib32/libz contain libz.a?

  * If Irix uses shared libraries, what file extension does it use for
    them?  Check for a "libz" file with that extension (e.g., "libz.so").
    Shared libs are quite a bit more complex to deal with, so there may
    be other things to check if this is the case....

  * Look in config.log (in the top-level freeciv directory) for any clues.
    If configure created the Makefiles, then it must have thought that it
    found a working zlib, but then for some reason the correct linker flags
    were never put into the Makefiles.

--
*** Please note new address. -->  |  Greg Wooledge
"Truth belongs to everybody."     |  http://wooledge.org/~greg/
  Red Hot Chili Peppers           |  old page: http://www.kellnet.com/wooledge/