Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Non-smallpox ruleset (Minimum distance between cities

To: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Non-smallpox ruleset (Minimum distance between cities to 3 or 4)
From: Paul Zastoupil <paulz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 16:30:25 -0800

On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 01:06:11AM +0100, Reinier Post wrote:
> The main problem with the approach, it turns out, is boredom.  Games take
> forever.  Developments is extremely slow when you only have 12 cities and
> any conquest or settlement beyond that is penalized.
>
> It is unclear whether there is any way around this problem.  The smallpox
> strategy is good in that it gets you built up and ready for decisive
> action in under an hour, without the need to do the equivalent of
> a maths exam in calculating all the details of micromanagement.
> I'd like to have more strategic options but the game shouldn't be
> turned into an exercise in accounting.

I am still looking for more comments on my idea of reducing size 1 cities
to 0 science and size 2 to 0.5.  Knowing this will slow down the game
the research speed could be adjusted.  This would encourage people
to have cities of at least size 4...

It is also more realistic.  Most research has been in well populated
areas because of communication.

--
Paul Zastoupil