[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Preparations for other AIs and humans

To: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Preparations for other AIs and humans
From: Thue <thue@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 15:09:34 +0100

On Saturday 13 January 2001 14:09, Jeff Mallatt wrote:
> At 2001/01/12 08:41 , Thue wrote:
> >On Friday 12 January 2001 13:00, Raimar Falke wrote:
> >> Also some kind of basic city management which can be told
> >> to "maximize for trade" would be nice. This can also be extended into
> >> "manage the city so that the city grows in the same turn as the
> >> production is finished you can use up to 30 credits to buy
> >> production". Together with worklists would this reduce micromanagement
> >> a big way. There exists some code about this topic in
> >> server/cityturn.c:auto_arrange_workers.
> >>
> >> IMHO all these things are semantically on top of the basic server
> >> functions. So I wouldn't bury these code parts deep into the
> >> server. This only complicate the server's core.
> >>
> >> What do you think about this? Where would you put the code?
> >
> >Client all the way. Then
> >1) We don't have to worry about cheating. (half reason for goto in client)
> >2) You can change what you want in your own AI without changing the
> > server. 3) Interaction between the various AI component would be easier
> > if they were all in the client.
>
> But, as with the worklist, I want my automation to continue even if my
> client gets disconnected.  Also, again as with worklists, saving state
> becomes a problem if it isn't all on the server.
>
> jjm

This could be solved by making the server spawn a "maintainance AI" when a
client gets disconnected. Also, we can give the client the ability to save a
few clues like AUTO_ROAD_BUILDING, only for use on the client side.
Most of the information needed for automation can probably be rebuild without
clues; ie, just reevaluate from scratch.

-Thue