[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Preparations for other AIs and humans

To: Thue <thue@xxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Preparations for other AIs and humans
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 15:11:48 +0100

On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 02:41:44PM +0100, Thue wrote:
> On Friday 12 January 2001 13:00, Raimar Falke wrote:
> > Also some kind of basic city management which can be told
> > to "maximize for trade" would be nice. This can also be extended into
> > "manage the city so that the city grows in the same turn as the
> > production is finished you can use up to 30 credits to buy
> > production". Together with worklists would this reduce micromanagement
> > a big way. There exists some code about this topic in
> > server/cityturn.c:auto_arrange_workers.
> >
> > IMHO all these things are semantically on top of the basic server
> > functions. So I wouldn't bury these code parts deep into the
> > server. This only complicate the server's core.
> >
> > What do you think about this? Where would you put the code?
>
> Client all the way. Then

Ok. Are there any special considerations about the interface?

> 1) We don't have to worry about cheating. (half reason for goto in client)

As I mentioned in another email it is sometimes necessary to have more
information than the client currently knows/remembers. Example is the
auto-build-city thing: after you gave it some constraints it will
search a place. However if the surrounding areas was explorerd but is
now fogged the code has currently now way of finding the best possible
square. There need to be some kind of history.

> 2) You can change what you want in your own AI without changing the server.
> 3) Interaction between the various AI component would be easier if they were
> all in the client.
>
> Actually I think we should move most of the player help functionality like
> explorers, autosettlers, tech choice and city build choice into the client.
>
> > If the code which exists can not be used to other AIs or is not
> > flexible enough it would get reimplemented. Also human clients will
> > have an advantage (humans also transfer units over the sea).
>
> I think you will find it not flexible enough (and too undocumented to bother
> understanding rather than writing your own). Some of the ideas in it can be
> used though, IMO.

I will start searching what can be migrated.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "#!/usr/bin/perl -w