[Freeciv-Dev] SV: Preparations for other AIs and humans

To: "freeciv development list" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] SV: Preparations for other AIs and humans
From: "Erik Sigra" <freeciv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 14:58:47 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 12, 2001 1:00 PM
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Preparations for other AIs and humans

> It would be good if any client can easily access these basic kinds of
> automation. Sometimes more flexibilty would be useful. The human may
> specify "auto settle and emphasize on roads/railroads and also build
> them between my cities" because he knows he will attack with cannons
> in 15 turns.

I know about 2 different ways to build infrastructure:
1. Build worker units and assign jobs to them. This is the way it works in
Freeciv.
2. Mark jobs that need to be done and build workers. The workers then do the
jobs. This is the way it works in The Settlers games.

I prefer the 2. way. But they can be combined like this:
* Players can make a plan for how they want to use a particular tile. It can be
something like "City", "Irrigate+Road+
Farmland", "Road+Mine+Railroad", .... The plan would be stored in the tile
record (warning: could be memory hungry).
* Workers set to auto will go from job to job until they can't find any more
and become idle.
* Workers not set to auto can be assigned jobs (like now).

Computer players and player scripts could easily be programmed to always assign
the same plan to the same terrain type, overrriding it with "City" where
adequate.