Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: the things i dislike about freeciv

To: Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: the things i dislike about freeciv
From: Geoffrey Dunn <geoffrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 16:06:54 +1000

Just on this one point on distinguishing players (and on occasion the
flags not being distinct enough). Perhaps an additional option to the
solid colours would be to perhaps alter the unit images by a colour. So
that perhaps if there are 3 players then the client or server assigns
colours to those 3 and the unit images have their palette shifted
slightly in that direction to make them more distinct. You'd have
blue-ish and red-ish and yellow-ish units going at each other so "at a
glance" you can see who is who and look closer to see the correct flag
slapped on top of each unit. Would be impractical with very large number
of players but then I can't imagine most games involve more than 8
players. Just an idea. I'm too tied up in other projects to be able to
do it myself right now.

                        Geoff

On Sat, 14 Oct 2000 13:14:51 +0200 Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 13, 2000 at 10:00:48AM -0400, Jamie Kawabata wrote:
> > 3.a. i was playing as hungary and one of the opponents was dutch, i
>     think, and i could not at-a-glance distinguish my units from
>     theirs.  that was a while back. it might be fixed by using one of
>     the new tile sets.
>
> This is nontrivial to solve, how to make all of > 20 nations pairwise
> distinguishable?

and...

Geoffrey Dunn geoffrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ICQ:8117102
http://www.backmeup.net.au/~gdunn/