Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: client goto & patrol

To: Falk Hueffner <falk.hueffner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: client goto & patrol
From: Thue <thue@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 14:35:01 +0200

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000 00:13:56 Falk Hueffner wrote:
> Thue <thue@xxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > We try again:
> >
> > http://hjem.get2net.dk/thue_janus_kristensen/client_goto-final.diff.gz
>
> I like this a lot. I noticed some things, though:
>
> * clicking with the middle button on a unit used to display it's
>   target point. This doesn't work any more. It would be nice if it
>   could draw a line.

It will take some effort to keep the route in the client and up to date. It
would be nice, but I would like to have what I got into CVS first. I added it to
the TODO file and made the target point viewable through the middle clieck
though.

> * I think having a different "patrol" cursor would be nice. There's no
>   feedback when I press 'g' and then 'q' that it worked.

TODO item added; contribution of a patrol cursor wellcome. :)

> * A great thing would be to add little lables numbering the turns on
>   the path like CivCTP does, but it would of course make redrawing
>   much more difficult.

This is not possible; because of the way server/unitfunc.c:try_move_unit()
works, the number of turns to get to a tile is non-deterministic. In civ:CTP it
is
not random whether a move succeds, so they can do it.

> * What happens after a goto is initiated and there appears a shorter
>   route, e. g. a road is finished? It would be nice if the route was
>   adapted, perhaps with a message for the player so he can check it.

This is a bit tricky; rigth now a waypointed goto would look like a normal
goto, but would probably not be optimal, so this check would find it too. But
TODO
item added. :)

>       Falk

Slightly updated patch can be found at