Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: the things i dislike about freeciv

To: Jamie Kawabata <kawabata@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: the things i dislike about freeciv
From: Thue <thue@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 17:06:02 +0200

> 1.c. i think internationalization should be pure client side.  the protocol
between client and server ought to be language-independent.  no messages, except
perhaps "willkommen," from the server make it to the client (e.g. help text).
this is true for the most part.  it is not the server's responsibility to have
speak every language simultaneously.  it's an interface thing.  if a unit is to
be called a "Cannon" then perhaps it should be #defined UNIT_CANNON in the
client and server, and only the client knows about the string "Kanonenbein".
as for
help text, well, i believe it doesn't have any place in the server at all.

Problem: If you then make a modified ruleset the ruleset have to be distributed
to the client first. Or at least the new help text.

> 1.f. goto should be pure client side.  again this is mostly a philosophical
objection, since goto is very much a user-interface convenience.  i guess some
people would like way points and road-to commands.  they belong in the client
too.

I am almost finished with my patch to do this. Now if only I could find out why
the send buffer isn't flushed When doing the goto...
(http://hjem.get2net.dk/thue_janus_kristensen/client_goto.diff.gz).
But the goto in the server will stay, because the goto is not just a user
interface thing. It is used by the AI and various automated routines like
autosettlers (you could argue should be moved to the client too, but easier
said than
done...)

-Thue