Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: the things i dislike about freeciv

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: the things i dislike about freeciv
From: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 11:56:46 -0400

At 2000/10/13 11:48 , Thue wrote:
>On Fri, 13 Oct 2000 17:14:18 Jeff Mallatt wrote:
>> What happens if the game stops, or the client disconnects?  What about save
>> games?  I believe that goto, like worklists, needs to be server-side to
>> handle these situations.
>
>Im my patch the goto route is calculated in the client and then sent to the
>server, so the server can (and do) save it. But having the calculation of
the route
>in the client makes it much cleaner, as you simple use what information is
>available, and not have to go look in the client's private map, what is
known to the
>client, on the server. It is simply automatically bug free in the regard by
>design, which is what I call good design :). Also, as you have seen, the
goto line
>can be shown while choosing the route. And waypoint can be easily introduced.
>(and I already mentioned it can be used like the warmap in the client)

Okay: this is great.  The goto is actually *performed* by the server --
that's the important part (so things can get captured in save games, and
can continue to operate even if the client gets disconnected).  And, yes,
it's the client's job to make user-interaction as easy as possible (as in
the "goto line").

jjm