Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: the things i dislike about freeciv

To: Erik Sigra <freeciv@xxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: the things i dislike about freeciv
From: Stan Shebs <shebs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 09:21:39 -0700

Erik Sigra wrote:

> Jamie Kawabata wrote:
> > 4.a. the way the terrain is set up, with extra fields for specials, it
> > seems like it could be better handled by having an entirely new terrain
> > type for forest_with_game, hills_with_coal, ocean_with_fish, etc.  have a
> > field for river.  this would keep the data structures and handling routines
> > simpler.  i have a funny suspicion that the reason it's set up this way is
> > to make rendering on the client side easier, though i doubt it makes it any
> > easier.  sure, maybe if there were ever whales on plains.
>
> I noticed that Xconq's civ emulation has its terrain/specials
> implemented in this way. But it could be very difficult to have all
> thoose terrain types, like forest_river_game, forest_game, forest_river,
> forest_river_silk, forest_silk, ...

I only did it that way because Xconq doesn't have a builtin notion
of "special" terrain types that match the Civ characteristics well
enough.  It's less painful than I imagined it might be, because
there are only a couple tables that define terrain characteristics,
and the most interesting one, terrain-production, is also the one
where all the specials have to be mentioned explicitly anyway.  The
main downside is graphics, it would be much handier to have the
base and special graphics be separate, and composite them at
rendering time.

Stan