Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: McOS-X port

To: Ondrej HLINKA <o.hlinka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: McOS-X port
From: Stan Shebs <shebs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 09:35:23 -0700

Ondrej HLINKA wrote:

> Hello there!,
> Just a suggestion - but how about making a port to MacOS-X (Substructure
> FreeBSD). I've heard it took three days to port Quake (II or II I'm not
> sure). Would increase the fan club a bit. Can't program but definitely
> willing to test. So far - I've got it to compile and run under MacOS X
> usin a product from tenon. Problems? etting Gtk and Glib to compile -
> managed to get older version of glib to work (ver 1.2.8).. not gtk
> though. thanks for lsitening,

The best-looking approach would be to write an interface directly to
Carbon (which is the old Mac toolbox) or Cocoa (the old NeXT toolbox).
However, this would be like the Xaw vs Gtk split, you end up with
another pile of code to maintain.  If you're willing to sacrifice
some appearance quality, the next best approach would be to port
Gtk's "gdk" layer to OS X lower-level graphics.  This would benefit
all Gnome apps.  Finally, as you say, there is the X server approach,
but it requires people to buy an X server that works within the OS X
environment.  (The famous "Carmack X server port" was never finished.)

The Quake III port came up quickly because it uses OpenGL.

Stan