Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] OSF1 V4.0D 878 alpha port

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] OSF1 V4.0D 878 alpha port
From: Argiolas Nicola <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 13:47:30 +0200 (CEST)

Hi!

        I've followed this great project for a long time, now it's time to
do my little part.

        I've tried to compile the code in an Alpha Workstation, with a
regular Digital C and some add-ons (like Xaw3d and GNU gettext) installed
by me. Here is a patch (from the latest cvs) with some really minor
modifications, that avoid useless Warnings.

        Although this patch is quiet... stupid, we can learn from this
some 'style' guidelines:

        1. every #include or #define (and so on..) line MUST begin at the
first coloumn of the file, because otherwise the preprocessor could ignore
it;

        2. the char variables are unsigned by default in GCC, but other
compilers consider them signed like the other int variables; so in GCC
it's useless to specify unsigned char, and it's not good for the others:
moreover the declaration of XCreateBitmapFromData is (from man):

       Pixmap XCreateBitmapFromData(display, d, data, width,
       height)
             Display *display;
             Drawable d;
             char *data;
             unsigned int width, height;

so there isn't any reason to specify 'unsigned' in the .ico e .xbm files.

        The GCC compiler seems to work both with and without the patch
applied. Also the linux binaries.

        Bye!

        Nick