[Freeciv-Dev] Re: New option in server. Correction.

To: bj0v@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: New option in server. Correction.
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 17:55:52 +1000 (EST)

Martin Olveyra <bj0v@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I dont see inconvenients on leaving killstack option as a server option, but
> i have noted that many options (like fogofwar) can be changed while game is
> running by any player with ctrl level.

Yes, this is an unclear issue in general...  On of the disadvantages
of changing server options into ruleset values is that it makes it
harder for a casual user (including on public servers etc) to change
them.  A better ruleset system which allows overriding ruleset internal
parameters on server command-line etc would help, but is more difficult.

(Well, would help in principle, but then also requires more knowledge
from the player, since will be more complicated to operate than server
options.)

> This is a problem, because any player
> can "trick" the game when he/she wants. But this makes me think on the same
> working for killstack (massive-killing, jehjeh!), so that is the way I did it
> first. Here, I include a patch that must be applied instead of the sent
> before.
> This makes killstack be setted only before game starts.
>
> If you want, I can fix this same problem for other "sensible" options like
> fogofwar. Perhaps you have reasons to implement the fogofwar the  way you did
> it. If so, forget it.

In general I tend to agree that "game rules" like this should be
fixed (see comment about "Flexible rules" in stdinhand.c).  But I
don't have enough experience[1] about multi-player games and
cmdlevel etc to know what is best there.

> +  { "killstack", &game.killstack,
> +    SSET_GAME_INIT, SSET_TO_CLIENT,

Actually, SSET_RULES would be more appropriate and will have the
same effect as SSET_GAME_INIT; otherwise fine.

Regards,
-- David

[1] Ie, none! :-}