[Freeciv-Dev] Re: FreeCiv - arcade game?

To: Tobias Brox <tobiasb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Jacek Pop³awski <jp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: FreeCiv - arcade game?
From: Mathias Hasselmann <Mathias.Hasselmann@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 02:29:11 +0200

Tobias Brox wrote:

> > NO! This would make diplomatic attacks too simple!
>
> Disagree.  Besides, it's too easy to set up some script "kill diplomat
> when approaching city".

What would be wrong with it? If you opponent it too stupid do hide/guard
the diplomats this is just fair. *There are enough* possiblities to move
a diplomat into the emenies city without getting killed.
Remember: tactics are also part of Freeciv....

> If you've managed to get the diplomat within
> range of a city in one turn without getting it killed, you should safely
> be able to do actions on the city, that's how it should work in a turn
> based world.

If you diplomats do not reach their targets there are two reasons for
it:

 * you did not give you move full attention
 * you should solitare instead of freeciv ¹)

If you play chess you also loose your figures if you move them onto
unprotected fields....

> The arcade-style is both a nice feature and an ugly bug IMO.  There should
> be some server options dealing with it somehow.

Make a good suggestion of a more action free gameplay.
But remember: There are mostly more than two human players. That's
why Jacek's idea would not work.

Ciao,
Mathias

¹) Sorry if you feel flamed. But that's my opinion.
--
PGP: 1024-Bit DSA: ID 55E572F3, 1024-Bit RSA: ID EAAF7CF1
WWW: http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~hasselma/