[Freeciv-Dev] Re: historical background on nations/leaders Was: histori

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: historical background on nations/leaders Was: historical backgroundon wonders
From: ZENIT News Agency <mark@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 20:55:25 +0200

I hacked out entries on the various wonders for the Helptexts. I hope this is
useful to the project!
Anyway, this is a diff for the buildings.ruleset from default of the July 13
CVS snapshot.

Mark Polo

dnh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Arg..... muchly work coming up =(
> I wont be able to do anything after all =(((( keep me posted though, she
> be able to start again in 3 weeks.
>
> Again sorry =(
>
> On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, Mathias Hasselmann wrote:
>
> > dnh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > >
> > > This has been suggested.. and it would be nice =)
> > > Feel free to do it.. or at least some of it (perhaps in the wonders
> > > section of the help)
> > > Marcus.. I would love to help you do this... mail me if you want to go
> > > ahead..
> >
> > When I saw the beautiful flags of some nations I never
> > heard about I asked myself if there should not also be
> > some information about the nation's and their leaders
> > histories.
> >
> > This information also would reduce my scruples about the
> > inclusion of one German leader - discussed on the list
> > before. If there is some historical background about
> > the leaders some people probably hesitate to use the
> > identity of this leaders...
> >
> > Ciao
> > Mathias
1271a1272,1288
> \n\n
> \"That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.\"\
> \n                                      -- Niel Armstrong\
> \n\n
> The first manned mission to the moon set down on July 20, 1969.\
>  Niel Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin took the first steps by humans on another\
>  planetary body. \
> \n\n
> The manned program began in January, 1967, with the failed Apollo 1\
>  mission. That spacecraft burned on the launchpad during a pre-flight test,\
>  claiming the lives of astronauts Virgil (Gus) Grissom, Edward White, and\
>  Roger Chaffee.
> \n\n
> The program continued after the landing (Apollo 11), and in the last three\
>  Apollo missions (15-17), astronauts made use of Lunar Rover Vehicles to\
>  extend the area of their explorations. Apollo 17, the last manned moon\
>  mission, left the moon on December 14, 1972.\
1294a1312,1324
> \n\n
> \"Every individual necessarily labors to render the annual revenue of\
>  the society as great as he can. He generally neither intends to promote\
>  the public interest, nor knows how much he is promoting it. He intends\
>  only his own gain, and he is in this, as in many other cases, led by\
>  an invisible hand to promote an end which was no part of his intention.\"\
> \n                                   -- Adam Smith\
> \n\n
> Adam Smith (1723-1790) was one of the great early theorists of Capitalism.\
>  The Scottish philosopher wrote \"On the Causes of the Wealth of Nations\",\
>  which lays out his theories. The best-known part of his theory is that\
>  of the invisible hand, which guides the actions of many people seeking\
>  their own self interest to produce the good of society.\
1317a1348,1367
> \n\n
> \"To you, O Sun, the people of Dorian Rhodes set up this bronze statue\
>  reaching to Olympus when they had pacified the waves of war and crowned\
>  their city with the spoils taken from the enemy. Not only over the seas,\
>  but also on land did they kindle the lovely torch of freedom.\"\
> \n                                       -- Dedicatory inscription\
> \n\n
> The Colossus of Rhodes stood only 56 years, but still earned a place in\
>  the list of Wonders of the Ancient World. \"Even lying on the ground, it\
>  is a marvel,\" remarked Pliny the Elder. It stood at the entrance\
>  to the harbor of the Mediterranean island of Rhodes, Greece.\
> \n\n
> The construction of the Colossus, dedicated to Helios, the sun god, took 12\
>  years and was finished in 282 B.C. An earthquake hit Rhodes in about 226\
>  B.C., breaking the knee of the Colossus. Although Ptolemy III Eurgetes\
>  of Egypt offered to cover restoration costs, after consulting an Oracle,\
>  the Rhodians rejected his offer. For almost a millenium, its remains\
>  lay alongside the harbor until the Arab invasion of A.D. 654. The fragments\
>  were sold to a Syrian Jew, and reportedly were carried there on the backs\
>  of 900 camels.\
1339a1390,1403
> \n\n
> \"Of all discoveries and opinions, none may have exerted a greater\
>  effect on the human spirit than the doctrine of Copernicus.\"\
> \n                        -- Goethe
> \n\n
> Nicholaus Copernicus (1473-1543), a Polish mathematician, became famous\
>  for his book \"De Revolutionibus Orbium Coelestium,\" published\
>  posthumously. In the book, Copernicus describes the universe as\
>  centered on the sun, rather than the earth, as most scientists held.\
> \n\n
> His work was actually based on mathematical calculations rather than\
>  personal observations -- his system removed many of the complexities\
>  of the Ptolemaic system. Nonetheless, this work laid the groundwork\
>  for the scientific revolution.\
1362a1427,1441
> \n\n
> \"After excision, even when a scar has formed, none the less the\
>  disease has returned.\"\
> \n               -- Celsus, a Roman physician\
> \n\n
> Cancer is a group of many related diseases. All forms of cancer\
>  involve out-of-control growth and spread of abnormal cells.\
> \n\n
> Because of this growth, cancer cells accumulate and form tumors that\
>  may compress, invade, and destroy normal tissue. Cancer may also\
>  spread to new areas of the body through the blood or the lymph.\
> \n\n
> Cancer has afflicted humanity throughout recorded history. Some of\
>  the earliest evidence is found among fossilized bone tumors, human\
>  mummies in ancient Egypt, and ancient manuscripts.\
1386,1388c1465,1481
< Charles Darwin's voyage sparked the discovery of the evolution\
<  of the species, which inspired greater confidence in science.\
<  Gives two immediate technology advances.\
---
> Gives two immediate technology advances.\
> \n\n
> \"Thus, from the war of nature, from famine and death, the most\
>  exalted object which we are capable of conceiving, namely, the\
>  production of the higher animals, directly follows.\"\
> \n               -- Charles Darwin\
> \n\n
> Charles Darwin (1809-1882) was an English naturalist. After receiving his\
>  degree as a clergyman in the Church of England, he accepted an invitation\
>  to serve as an unpaid naturalist on the H.M.S. Beagle, which departed\
>  on a five-year scientific expedition to the Pacific coast of South\
>  America on December 31, 1831.\
> \n\n
> From the work on this voyage, Darwin published (in 1859) his most famous\
>  book, \"On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection\". The\
>  work outlined his theory of evolution, which challenged contemporary\
>  beliefs and inspired further advances in science.\
1436a1530,1550
> [...]
>  accordance with the book of Allah, we may do\
>  without them, for in that case the book of Allah more than suffices.\
>  If, on the other hand, they contain matter not in\
>  accordance with the book of Allah, there can be no need to preserve these.\
>  Proceed, then, and destroy them.\"\
> \n                          -- Amr Ibn el-As
> \n\n
> Founded by Ptolemy I Soter (367?-283 B.C.), the Great Library of Alexandria\
>  was greatly embellished\
>  and enhanced by Ptolemy II Philadelphius, who endowed it with the ambitious
> mission of\
>  procuring a copy of every existing book.\
> \n\n
> There is enormous disagreement about the actual fate of the Great Library.
> One story says\
>  that many or most of the scrolls caught fire from a blaze that spread when
> Julius\
>  Caesar burned the entire Ptolemaic fleet in the harbor in 48 B.C. The
> Library, however,\
>  experienced renewed splendor during imperial times. Gibbon lays the blame\
>  on a Christian mob in 391 after paganism was outlawed. In any case, the
> final blow\
>  was struck by the Arab general Amr Ibn el-As in 641. It is said that the
> remaining\
>  books and scrolls fed the stoves of Alexandria for another six months.\
1459a1574,1594
> \n\n
> \"It was done in this way: gangs of twenty workers were formed who had to\
>  accomplish a length, say, of five hundred yards of wall, while a similar
> gang\
>  built another stretch of the same length to meet the first.\
>  But after the junction had been made the construction of the wall was not
> carried\
>  on from that point, let us say, where this thousand\
>  yards ended; instead the two groups of workers were transferred to begin\
>  building again in quite different neighbourhoods. Naturally\
>  in this way many great gaps were left, which were only filled in gradually\
>  and bit by bit, some, indeed not till after the official\
>  announcement that the wall was finished.\"\
> \n                                   --Franz Kafka
> \n\n
> The Great Wall of China was built by Qin Shi Huangdi, the first emporer of
> China\
>  during the Qin Dynasty (221-206 B.C.). After subjugating and uniting China\
>  from seven warring states, the emporer connected and extended four old
> fortification\
>  walls along the north of China dating from about 700 B.C. \
> \n\n
> During the Ming Dynasy (1368-1644), the wall was enlarged to 6,400 km and
> renovated,\
>  with watch-towers and cannons being added. The Great Wall is\
>  visible from Earth orbit, but, contrary to popular opinion, not from the
1489a1625,1643
> \n\n
> \"The approach to the Garden sloped like a hillside and the several parts of\
>  the structure rose from one another tier on tier... On all this, the earth\
>  had been piled... and was thickly planted with trees of every kind that, by\
>  their great size and other charm, gave pleasure to the beholder... The water\
>  machines [raised] the water in great abundance from the river, although\
>  no one outside could see it.\"\
> \n                            -- Diodorus Siculus\
> \n\n
> There is some debate over whether the Hanging Gardens of Babylon ever
> actually\
>  existed. Nebuchadnezzar II (604-562 B.C.) is credited with building them. It
> is said\
>  that he build them to please his wife or concubine, who came from the
> mountainous Media.\
>  Greek poets wrote about them based on the descriptions of Alexander the
> Great's\
>  soldiers. The gardens are included in the Seven Wonders of the Ancient
> World.\
> \n\n
> Archeologists today are still struggling to gather enough evidence to make a
> final\
>  conclusion about the location of the gardens, their irrigation system, and
> their\
>  true appearance. Some now theorize that Senaherib may have been the actual
> constructor,\
>  some hundred years earlier.\
1520a1675,1690
> \n\n
> \"As President, Herbert Hoover took an active part in settling the
> engineering\
>  problems and location\
>  of the dam in Black Canyon; was required by the Project Act to obtain\
>  power and water contracts\
>  adequate to assure some $200,000,000 of revenues before\
>  construction was begun; settled the difficult and controversial questions\
>  involved in the allocation of the power, and made the revenue\
>  contracts which Congress required; and proclaimed the Boulder Canyon\
>  Project Act to be in effect on June 25, 1929.\
> \n   -- House Resolution restoring name \"Hoover Dam\" to this monument
> \n\n
> Built in the midst of the Depression in only five years, Hoover Dam was the\
>  largest dam of its time. Its construction in arid, barren land was a true\
>  engineering marvel. It is 726 feet tall and 660 feet thick at the base.\
>  2700 miles of wiring carry electricity generated by the dam to Los Angeles.\
1542a1713,1725
> \n\n
> \"If I have seen further than other men, it is only because I have stood\
>  on the shoulders of giants.\"\
> \n                -- Sir Isaac Newton\
> \n\n
> Sir Isaac Newton (1643-1727) is one of the greatest physicists of all time.\
>  He is credited with the theory of gravity, the laws of motion, and the\
>  invention (simultaneously with Leibniz) of calculus.\
> \n\n
> In his \"Principia Mathematica,\" he expounds his theories. The mathematician\
>  and physicist Lagrange described the Principia as the greatest production\
>  of the human mind, and said he felt dazed at such an illustration\
>  of what man's intellect might be capable.\
1564a1748,1760
> \n\n
> \"His feet seemed to fly across the pedals as if they were\
>  winged, and mighty sounds filled the church.\"\
> \n            -- Constantin Bellermann\
> \n\n
> Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750) was one of the greatest composers of all
> time.\
>  His music marks the summit of traditional polyphony. In 1723\
>  he became Cantor at St. Thomas' church in Leipzig, where he remained for the\
>  rest of his life. \
> \n\n
> Bach's music is noted for its mathematical precision, especially in the
> fugues\
>  and canons, some of which he did not write out in full, only providing
> \"hints\"\
>  for the reader to reconstruct the piece as he originally intended it.\
1587a1784,1798
> \n\n
> \"Dieu Le Volt : God wills it!\"\
> \n                    -- Pope Urban II
> \n\n
> The Crusades were called by various Popes and kings to permit Christians free\
>  access to the Holy Land, which had been taken by Muslims. In some cases,\
>  however, the ideals that enlightened the calling of the crusades did not\
>  shine through in the execution.
> \n\n
> The First Crusade was called by Pope Urban II in 1095 in a field in Clermont
> Ferrand.\
>  Richard the Lion Heart (1157-1199) learned of the loss of Jerusalem to
> Saladin\
>  in 1183 and soon took up the cross of the crusades. In 1189 he was crowned
> king\
>  and began to raise funds for the Third Crusade. His crusade made its way to
> the\
>  gates of Jerusalem, but then had to turn back because of the death of
> Emporer\
>  Henry VI.\
1609a1821,1835
> \n\n
> \"Iron rusts from disuse; stagnant water loses its purity and in\
>  cold weather becomes frozen; even so does inaction sap the\
>  vigour of the mind.\"\
> \n                                             -- Leonardo Da Vinci
> \n\n
> Leonardo Da Vinci (1452-1519) was a true Rennaisance man. He stood out as a
> painter,\
>  a writer, and an inventor. His sketchbook contains images of many inventions
> that\
>  would only be realized many years later, such as the helicopter. His most
> famous\
>  painting, the Mona Lisa, can be viewed in the Louvre Museum in Paris.\
> \n\n
> Leonardo was left-handed. He undertook his journals in \"mirror writing\",
> not as a way\
>  of keeping the contents secret as it is easily read. Rather, it is believed
> that he just\
>  didn't care to write as a mode of communication. The notes were for himself
> and he\
>  wrote them in the way that was most natural to him.\
1635a1862,1882
> \n\n
> \"Sostratus, the son of Dexiphanes, the Cnidian, dedicated this to the Savior
> Gods,\
>  on behalf of those who sail the seas.\"\
> \n                          -- Dedicatory inscription\
> \n\n
> The Lighthouse of Alexandria was the only one of the Seven Wonders of the
> Ancient World\
>  that had a practical use. For sailors, it ensured a safe return to the Great
> Harbor. It\
>  was the tallest building in the world, and the reflection from its mirror
> could be\
>  seen 50 km off-shore.\
> \n\n
> The project was conceived by Ptolemy I Soter around 290 B.C., but was
> completed in the\
>  reign of his son Ptolemy II Philadelphus. Sostrastus, a contemporary of
> Euclid, was\
>  the chief architect, and the calculations for the structure were carried out
> in the\
>  Great Library. For centuries, the Lighthouse was used to mark the harbor. It
> is even\
>  depicted on Roman coins.\
> \n\n
> When the Arabs conquered Egypt, they maintained the lighthouse for some time.\
>  They moved the capital to Cairo, however, and when the mirror to the
> lighthouse was\
>  mistakenly taken down, it was never replaced. Earthquakes in 956, 1303, and
> 1323\
>  successively reduced the structure to rubble. Finally, in 1480, the Sultan
> Qaitbay\
>  built a fortress on the site of the lighthouse using the fallen stone and
> marble.\
1657a1905,1916
> \n\n
> \"The voyage thus ended was doubtless the greatest feat of navigation that
> has\
>  ever been performed, and nothing can be imagined that would\
>  surpass it except a journey to some other planet.\"\
> \n                                           -- John Fiske
> \n\n
> Ferdinand Magellan (1480?-1521) discovered that the Atlantic and Pacific
> Oceans meet, and plotted\
>  a course to take a voyage around the world. He died in the course of making\
>  the voyage he is known for. The voyage was completed by Juan Sebastián del
> Cano.\
>  The ship's trip around the world took slightly more than three years,
> arriving\
>  in Seville on September 9, 1522.\

1679a1939,1955
> \n\n
> \"A single bomb of this type, carried by boat and exploded in a port,\
>  might very well destroy the whole port together with some of the\
>  surrounding territory.\"\
> \n                                           -- Albert Einstein
> \n\n
> On October 9, 1939, a letter from Albert Einstein was delivered to U.S.\
>  President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, warning of the possibility of nuclear\
>  weapons. Meanwhile, in Great Britain, physisists began to analyze the
> possibility\
>  of fast fission of uranium. Through 1940 and 1941, work accelerated in the
> U.S.,\
>  even though official support was lacking.\
> \n\n
> In June, 1942, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers took over the project of
> development\
>  of an atomic bomb, code-naming it the \"Manhattan Engineer District,\" or
> Manhattan\
>  Project. The project was headed up by Col. Leslie Groves, who pushed the
> project\
>  forward. The collaboration of Dr. Robert Oppenheimer led to eventual success
> in\
>  September 1945, when a nuclear bomb was exploded in the Trinity base in
> Arizona.\
1701a1978,1989
> \n\n
> \"I did not tell half of what I saw, because no one would have believed me.\"\
> \n                   -- Marco Polo\
> \n\n
> The great explorer Marco Polo (1254-1324) travelled throughout the east.\
>  In 1271, his family brought him to the court of Kublai Khan in China,\
>  when he was only 17.\
>  In 1280 he made an overland journey from Uzbekistan to|
>  China. Two years later, he made a second journey. His family left China in
> 1292\
>  as escorts for a Mongol Princess. In 1298, he was taken prisoner in the
> battles\
>  between Venice and Genoa. He is reputed to have dictated \"The Travels of
> Marco\
>  Polo\" from that prison cell.\
1730a2019,2033
> \n\n
> \"Draw, Antonio, draw, Antonio, draw and do not waste time.\"
> \n                               -- Last words of Michaelangelo\
> \n\n
> Michaelangelo Buonarroti (1495-1564) was a sculptor and painter from
> Florence.\
>  Though he preferred to consider himself a sculptor, he is well-known for\
>  his painting of the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, a work that took him\
>  four years to complete. The ceiling depicts the creation of the world\
>  and the fall of Adam and Eve. Images of prophets and sybills line\
>  the sides. The chapel is dominated by his fresco of \"The Last\
>  Judgment.\"
> \n\n
> The Vatican has undertaken a massive restoration project to return\
>  these masterpieces to their original vibrant colors, muted by centuries\
>  of soot and oil.\
1753a2057,2072
> \n\n
> \"Know thyself.\"\
> \n              -- The Oracle
> \n\n
> Delphi lies on the slopes of Mount Parnassus in Greece. There, dwelt the
> Oracle,\
>  who gave the advice of Apollo to those who sought her. Her answers, however,\
>  were always vague and difficult to comprehend. Only Socrates is said to have\
>  received a straight answer -- when he asked if he was the wisest person\
>  in the world, she responded, \"Yes.\"\
> \n\n
> The Mycenaeans settled in Delphi in about 1500 B.C, and the Delphic sybils\
>  were already famous. At that time, the shrine was dedicated to Gaea.\
>  According to the myth, Apollo killed Python on this slope around 1000 B.C.,\
>  and installed his own oracles. Until the shrine was destroyed by the
> Christian\
>  Emporer Arcadius in A.D. 398, Delphi truly shaped the history of\
>  the world.\
1775a2095,2115
> \n\n
> \"Man fears Time, yet Time fears the Pyramids.\"\n\
>                     -- Arab Proverb\
> \n\n
> The only one of the Seven Wonders from the list compiled by\
>  Herodotus to survive to modern times. The largest of the pyramids,\
>  that of Khufu (Cheops), was built in the Fourth Dynasty around the\
>  year 2560 B.C. in Giza, a necropolis for ancient Memphis. The\
>  construction is believed to have taken 20 years, and the completed\
>  monument served as a tomb for the Pharaoh.\
> \n\n
> We know but little of Khufu himself, as the pyramid had been looted\
>  long before modern archeologists explored it.\
> \n\m
> Throughout history, various names have been applied to the pyramids,\
>  for example, \"The Granaries of Joseph\" and \"The Mountains of Pharaoh\".\
>  There are enough stone blocks in the three pyramids at Giza to build a\
>  3 m high, 0.3 m thick wall around the whole of France. The area of the\
>  base of the pyramid is equal to that of St. Peter's Cathedral in\
>  the Vatican together with the cathedrals of Florence, Milan, Westminster,\
>  and St. Paul's in London.\
1798a2139,2152
> \n\n
> \"What do we need to know about to discover life in space?\"\
> \n                                         -- Frank Drake
> \n\n
> The Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence is an ongoing attempt\
>  to communicate with (or at least detect) life outside our solar system.\
>  Using radio telescopes and missions to outer space, the project\
>  hopes to prove that we are not alone.\
> \n\n
> The scientist Frank Drake conceived of an approach to bound the terms\
>  involved in estimating the number of technological civilizations that\
>  may exist in our galaxy. The Drake equation (1961), which identifies
> specific\
>  factors that may play a role in the development of such civilizations,\
>  is a generally accepted tool to examine these factors.\
1820a2175,2182
> \n\n
> \"All the world's a stage, and we are merely players...\"
> \n        -- William Shakespeare
> \n\n
> William Shakespeare (1564-1616) is the greatest English playwright. He
> produced his\
>  works under Queen Elizabeth and King James. His plays run the gamut from
> comedy\
>  to tragedy to history. He was one of the proprietors of the Globe Theater\
>  in London, built in 1599.\
1845a2208,2221
> \n\n
> \"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses\
>  yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your\
>  teeming shore. Send these, the homeless,\
>  tempest-tossed to me. I lift my lamp beside the golden door.\"
> \n                                     -- Inscription
> \n\n
> The Statue of Liberty was a gift of France to the United States in\
>  commemoration of the first centennial of independence from England.\
>  It was built by Frederic August Bartholdi, inspired in part by the\
>  Colossus of Rhodes. The statue is made of copper over a steel skeleton.\
>  Assembly in the United States was completed in 1886. Standing on Ellis\
>  Island in New York Harbor, it was the first sight of freedom for millions\
>  of immigrants.\
1870a2247,2255
> \n\n
> \"In essence, the art of war is the art of life.\"\
> \n                 -- Sun Tzu
> \n\n
> Sun Tzu was a Chinese general from about 500 B.C. His collection of essays
> entitled\
>  \"The Art of War\" constitutes the first known treatise on the subject.\
>  The most fundamental principle of his teaching is that all war is based on\
>  deception. His ideas spread to the rest of Asia and Japan. Since the
> mid-1970's\
>  they have become known in the West as well.
1896a2282,2312
> \n\n
> \"We the peoples of the United Nations, determined\
>  to save succeeding generations from the scourge of war,\
>  which twice in our lifetime has brought untold sorrow to\
>  mankind, and to reaffirm faith in fundamental human rights,\
>  in the dignity and worth of the human person,\
>  in the equal rights of men and women and of nations\
>  large and small, and to establish conditions under which\
>  justice and respect for the obligations arising from\
>  treaties and other sources of international law\
>  can be maintained, and to promote social progress and better\
>  standards of life in larger freedom,\
>  and for these ends to practice tolerance and live together\
>  in peace with one another as good neighbours, and\
>  to unite our strength to maintain international peace\
>  and security, and to ensure, by the acceptance of principles\
>  and the institution of methods, that armed force shall\
>  not be used, save in the common interest, and to employ\
>  international machinery for the promotion of the economic\
>  and social advancement of all peoples, have resolved to combine\
>  our efforts to accomplish these aims.\
> \n                -- U.N. Charter, Preamble\
> \n\n
> Formed after the atrocities of World War II, the United Nations\
>  seeks to advance the cause of humanity in all countries.\
>  Its first General Assembly was held in 1946. All member states have\
>  a delegate (though those from Switzerland and the Holy See do not\
>  have a vote), and address issues of international concern.\
> \n\n
> In times of international dispute, the U.N. often sends in peace-keeping\
>  troops on loan from the various member states.\
1930a2347,2365