[Freeciv-Dev] Re: historical background on nations/leaders Was: histori

To: Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: dnh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: historical background on nations/leaders Was: historical background on wonders
From: Mathias Hasselmann <Mathias.Hasselmann@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 20:08:13 +0200

Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 11, 2000 at 10:08:50AM +0200, Mathias Hasselmann wrote:
> > Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> > > Please, no.
> > > National histories are all lies, damn lies and propaganda. :-(
> >
> > I believe, if we are careful texts written for FreeCiv could
> > be relatively truth: Since we live in different countries we are
> > hopefully not infected completely by the same propaganda...
>
> How many non-Estonians wrote History of Estonia ?

My (very little) knowledge of Estonian history lets
me ask the question completely the opposite way:
"How many *Estonians* wrote History of Estonia?" ;-)
I know Estonia mostly as member of the Hanseatic
League were it was not lead by Estonians...
And in the later time this young nation was occupied
most of the time - I think.

Any Estonians or history gurus on the list, who
can correct me?

> In some cases it will be difficult.

Well Estonia is a good example. Another good example are
the Bavarians... ;-) Well it's a good local joke to
have Germans and Bavarians in one game...

> > But, as I believe to know you Thomasz, you believe that
> > Holocaust was neccessary and there were no concentration
> > camps (KZ)...
> >
> > ...since you are biased by propaganda apparently common in Western
> > Poland currently, I do not think we both have to talk about that...
>
> Of course there were no KZs.
> I was in Auschwitz last week,
> but this doesn't make me believe that Auschwitz exists. ;-)

Could you explain this two sentences, please? If your smiley
would be behind the first sentence I could understand them this
way: The first sentence is meant as a dig against me and
the second should remember me that you do not believe history
books...
But that way you wrote it down it looks like nosense to me...

> Wake up and stop flaming me.

Sorry Tomasz, but as I already mentioned in out other thread:
There is a theme were I am very sensitive... And since it
seems to me, that your efforts to be tolerant and objective
have made you superficial in some points I can not be silent.

Well I am superficial too - too often... And I wrote you
some sentences for which I should feel ashamed and I will
try to avoid in the future...

> ( And don't use more German-only abreviations like KZ,
>   they are generally unrecognible to non-Germans )

I thought KZ would be. But you are true, I should should
check this before... (If all the "terrible" abbreviations
would be common in the non German world it would not
be explainable, how companies abbreviate themselves (e.g.
"Netscape") or their products (e.g. "VIA" and their Athlon
chipset)...)

Ciao,
Mathias

(In expection for further valuable discussions.)
--
PGP: 1024-Bit DSA: ID 55E572F3, 1024-Bit RSA: ID EAAF7CF1
WWW: http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~hasselma/