[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Historical background on wonders

To: ZENIT News Agency <mark@xxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Historical background on wonders
From: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 09:53:34 -0400

At 2000/07/17 03:19 , ZENIT News Agency wrote:
>Per request, here is my file gzipped. It was mentioned that the texts
>may be too long for network play -- my thought is that since they are
>text and this is less than 30k additional load, it shouldn't be that big
>a deal. But then again, I haven't tried network mode yet. :-)
>
>This is a diff for buildings.ruleset in the default ruleset of the CVS
>of July 13.

Great, thanks.  This attachment made it through un-corrupted.

I made some changes (attached):

- Rather than forcing our poor, overworked translators to re-translate
every Wonder help text, I put your texts in a new entry called
"historytext".  This also allows for more flexibility in displaying the
information -- however, for now, I simply changed the code to concatenate
the help and history texts.

- Unfortunately, the formatting requirements for text in the rulesets is
rather strict, and is undocumented.  One thing, each line needs to end with
a "\" (this also implies no trailing whitespace).  I went through every
entry, fixing formatting problems.

- And, I noticed and corrected one content error: the Statue of Liberty
does not stand on Ellis Island, it's on Liberty (formerly Bedloe's) Island.

Finally, I have to ask the ever-complicating legal question: Is your
information un-encumbered by copyrights, etc.?  Perhaps you need to add
citations to each entry?

jjm