[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Roadmap changes?

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Roadmap changes?
From: "Erik Sigra" <sigra@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 14:10:30 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2000 11:58 AM

> On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, Erik Sigra wrote:
> > I have some feedback for the roadmap here: increment the middle number
of
> > the version until the Civ2 compatibility is completely done. Then
increment
> > the first number to 2 (as in Civ2) and set the middle and last numbers
to 0.
> > Then work with SMAC compatibility and release versions that are more and
> > more SMAC compatible while incrementing the middle number. When SMAC
> > compatibility is completely done, increment the first number to 3
>
> SMAC? You must mean Civ3. See http://www.firaxis.com/civ3/, or
> http://civ.quantum9.com/ for details. Yes, it is official. Civ3 is being
> made, and Sid Meier is on the team, too. Though, I am not holding my
> breath - this is going to take a while :)
>
> Yours,
> Per

OK sure. I have checked the links above. Let us save the number 3 for
complete Civ3 compatibility. SMAC will be a good  development target after
Civ2 compatibility is done and before Civ3 is out.

I also think Civ2 had a printed manual. Thus we will need that for complete
Civ2 compatibility. Maybe something in DocBook SGML with downloadable
postscript version which the users can print out will do.

And one more thing. It could be useful to allow settlers to build fake
cities to scare or confuse the enemy. Add a new settlers command "Build fake
city" or something. If the active settler already is in a fake city, the
command is "Increase fake city" and will make the city appear bigger to the
enemies. Both commands will cost p turns and q gold, where p=1 and q=?20?
are the standard values. The settler will of course remain after this
action. The enemy will see the fake city as a real city until it tries move
into it. Then the enemy will get a message (with sound) that tells about the
fake. The fake cities would disappear after a number of turns (?20?).

The last question: Are the grid colors customizable? Haven't found that
option but it could be useful. Especially for modpacks with much black and
white in the terrain graphics.

Yours,
Erik