[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Perl for scripting (Re: Plans for 1.12)

To: Lalo Martins <lalo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Perl for scripting (Re: Plans for 1.12)
From: Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 22:52:28 +0200

On Tue, Jun 27, 2000 at 03:37:26PM -0300, Lalo Martins wrote:
> Or putting it the other way around: some people just won't
> learn Perl, some just won't learn Scheme.
>
> Either we support both perl and scheme, or we use a language
> with a very high "DOH factor" like TCL, Python or Pike.
>
> (DOH factor: the percentage of times you will find out that you
> can do something exactly like you thought you could. Scheme has
> a low initial DOH factor because you can't "2 + 2", for example.)

Me thinks python is veeeeeeeeery low DOHish if you ever programmed C
(no +=, whitespace problem, print auto-\n, one-element array problem etc.)

On the other hand perl has gigantic DOH-factor, because
it is most TIMTOWTDI and most DWIM language.

And hardly anyone knows Pike or TCL.

And 95% people :
a) won't write scripts
or
b) already know C or C-like programing language

BTW:
What DOH is TLA of ?