[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Plans for 1.12

To: Freeciv Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Plans for 1.12
From: Artur Biesiadowski <abies@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 18:01:53 +0200

Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:

> And ugly/beauty issue is very personal.

I agree, but most perl programs would win Obsfucate-C contest without
modification :)
Seriously, I'm mainly talking about proliferation of $ @ % etc in perl
code. Also fact that function can have different side effect depending
on fact what type of return I want from it at call site is very 'ugly'
for me.

> LISP-derivate easier to learn ?
> If you know C, you can start programing perl after 5-minute course.
> Show me such 5-minute tutorial for scheme.

If you know C...
I agree that enough people know C to make a difference.

> In kB
>
> Instalation size (Debian) :
> guile           1356
> perl-base       1328

I was thinking about dynamic library itself. AFAIK guile is something
like one 400kb lib uncompressed. We would have to distribute it for
windows installations with freeciv.
And BTW, on Suse

perl 4312 Kb
guile 757 Kb

but it is not important as perl is mandatory install.

> Runtime size (for loop program) :
> perl: 804 shared + 124 private
> dunno how to check guile

Something smaller shared and more private, as it allocs about 1MB of
heap at start if I remeber correctly.

> Guile has a garbage collector too.

Yes, but it was designed with being embedded in mind, so you just need
to add one init at start of your program and everything works correctly.

> Is mzscheme free ?
Yes.

> Where can I get one ? (I have no such thing on Debian)
http://www.cs.rice.edu/CS/PLT/packages/drscheme/

Here you can download not only mzscheme itself but also IDE for it +
plus many other packages. All of this is overkill, but it could be
stripped down to one dynamic lib about 600-800 kb.

Artur