[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Plans for 1.12

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Plans for 1.12
From: Jed Davis <jldavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 23:32:08 -0400

--On Monday, 19 June 2000 18:38 +0200 Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

I would like to ask freeciv developers what features
would they like to see in 1.12 (or maybe 2.0, why not ???)
Please, add what you want to this list and send it to freeciv-dev ML.

- bugfixes, more nations etc.
- better terrain.ruleset
- sound support
- colorful messages
- more flexible difficulty settings
- ships on rivers
As long as we're here, I was wondering if it really makes sense for a unit on a river to get the same defense bonus against a ship as it gets vs. a land unit. Sorry for the digression.

- coastal artilery units
- amphibia (sea+land) units
- valutas
- basic kickstart functionality
- basic server scripting
- rewritten human<->server interface

I'm not seeing this necessarily in the next version, unless I should happen to be blessed with enough copious free time do to a large part of it myself, but maybe a couple of versions down the road:
- basic client scripting

So I wouldn't have to micromanage quite so much. I'd like to see GUILE used for this, since I'm a bit of a Scheme person, and it _is_ in the To Do list, after all. (-: Of course, it'd probably have to be optional at compile-time, so that people whose systems don't have GUILE and who don't want to or can't (?) install it can still use the rest of Freeciv.

I have a [very] little experience with GUILE, which I guess means that I've just volunteered to write all the bindings or something. /-:

--Jed