[Freeciv-Dev] Re: AI Generally

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: AI Generally
From: Massimo Campostrini <Massimo.Campostrini@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 02 Jun 2000 11:02:18 +0200

"Sam BC" <sambc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but the current code is pretty much opaque (or at
> least only translucent) and hard to build on. Maybe after the next version
> release it might be worth thinking about completely re-coding the AI in an
> experimental version, even including both in source with a compile-time (or
> run-time but the executables will be big) option.

The current AI code looked completely opaque to me as well. :-(
If you plan re-coding the AI, consider writing it as a client-side
AI.  Then we can have AI tournaments!  The main (dis)advantage is
that it can't cheat.

I don't know if anything is missing from the server to support
client-side AIs.  As a minimum, a command to launch one or more
client-side AIs on the server's host would be nice; maybe just
modify "create" to accept a second optional argument:

create <player-name> <external-AI-program>

Regards,
        Massimo Campostrini