Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Floating barbarians ! (PR#292)

To: Thue Janus Kristensen <thue.kristensen@xxxxxxxxxx>, Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, a_beraud@xxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Floating barbarians ! (PR#292)
From: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 13:04:54 -0600

On Mon, Mar 06, 2000 at 01:57:56PM -0500, Daniel Burrows wrote:
>   That's what I mean, though -- it seems like the client shouldn't be getting
> that information for enemy units.  Is there a good reason to hand this out?
>
>   Either than, or someone should change gui-gtk to let you actually see what
> the enemy units in a given stack are :)

        There are issues here.
        If you have the square in question under constant observation, then
yes, you see the units move into the square, and can argue that you should
have memory aids which help you remember what you saw.
        If you have just "discovered" the stack of units in the square, you
have no knowledge of what's there other than the top unit, and whether
there is more than one unit or not.
        Also, if a Transport moves into a square with another transport and
back out again, you should not be able to see the contents of either
transport, because of the shell game aspect.
        This is going to be quite hard to "get right".
--
Anthony J. Stuckey                              stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"And they said work hard, and die suddenly, because it's fun."