[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Nations policy

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Nations policy
From: Thue Janus Kristensen <thue105@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 00:19:47 +0100

> > client1, playing the Swedish, enters the custom name "Juan", which happens
> > to be a famous leader of (say), the Mexicans, who is for whatever reason
> > usually called "John", in the US.
> >
> > Should this get translated?
>
> If the player selects 'Louis XIV' and the other player is e.g dutch
> and the dutch translation translates this name to e.g 'Lodewijk XIV'
> I think it should be translated.. just as 'Charlemagne' is
> translated to 'Karel de Grote' in dutch and 'Karl den Store' in
> norwegian.  Or one can make translation only on AI-players..
>
> But if a name is translatable it should be translated, preferrably
> the full name and not just the firstname.

It will be a mess; what if I want to talk about a player in the chat? I won't
recognize what you call "Lodewijk XIV" when I only know the player "Louis
XIV". For that reason player names must remain untranslated. But it would
make most sence to use national names as universal, when we can't
internationalize and attributes are an integral part of a leader name IMO.

-Thue