[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Nations policy

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Nations policy
From: Steven Burnap <sburnap@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 17:06:30 -0800

At 12:44 AM 2/15/00 +0100, you wrote:
> > We should not allow nations newer than 500 years.
>
> I am sure germans and americans would disagree here :-)

Blah.  Those over there are youngsters, they just have to live with it ...
they absolutely don't belong in the same category as the Incas and the
Babylonians. ...and the Germans shouldn't be too nationalistic anyway.

Germany as a nation isn't that old. The "German" people are thousands of years old and were known (and given the name "German") by the Romans. It seems odd to have
the Romans without having their traditional enemy.

It seems to me that an "ancient European" version would have, at minimum:

Romans
Greeks
Phoenicians
Egyptians
Germans
Celts
Persians
Babylonians
Jews
Gauls  (or are they just Celts?)

As those were some of the major peoples mentioned by authors in the age of antiquity.

Steve Burnap