[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Why client-side AI could be a Bad Thing

To: Tobias Brox <tobiasb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Arkadiusz Danilecki <szopen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Why client-side AI could be a Bad Thing
From: paulz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 10:25:25 -0800

On Fri, Jan 28, 2000 at 09:15:59PM +0100, Tobias Brox wrote:
> > Well... with ten hard AIs you first struggle to survive, then you have
> > pleasure of defeating first AI and them real fun of crushing all AI with
> > using of modern weapons :)
>
> I disagree - at the point when I've realized that there is _no way_ the AI
> players can beat me, the game isn't fun anymore.
>
> When I'm starting to realize that it would be easy to win even if a human
> player took over all the AI, and in the same time there is _a lot_ of
> city maintenance etc to do, then ... well, eventually I tend to abort the
> game.

I understand you feelings about long games, I feel the same way most of
the time.  But we shouldn't make a judgement of what is fun for someone
else based on this.  Sometimes it is entertaining to get to use some of
the more advanced weaponry to crush an opponent.  In fact the first thing
I did when I got Civ:CTP was to play a game on the easiest level and get
the most advanced units possible, just so I could overrun the whole map
like a storm.

--
Paul Zastoupil