Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Hex tileset

To: abies@xxxxxxxxx (Artur Biesiadowski)
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Hex tileset
From: Tatu Rissanen <trident@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 12:25:30 +0200 (EET DST)

> Tatu Rissanen wrote:
>
> > The fact is that mountain tops has to be drawn on a layer above flat
> > terrain elements. This requires a lot more from renderer module than
> > the current system. The renderer has to able to handle lists of graphics
> > elements per hex putting them on different layers (merging the lists and
> > ordering them by depth prior drawing).
>
> Do you think about doing terrain transition on ground layer and then
> drawing same mountains on top ? It could work. In other case there is no
> reason to put mountains in different layer, as there will be nothing
> between them and ground.

Yes, but not the same mountains, just the tops that are to cover the
transition area.

I was thinking about the border-idea: Each terrain has some alpha blended
border that extends to neighbour hexes on top of which is rendered opaque
mountain tops/trees/hill tops/jungle/shore. The neighbour's border areas
must not affect the mountain tops and therefore different layers are
needed.

> > I think we could cut corners here: allow graphics to extend only to the
> > lower part of the above hex. A clipping mask could be used to enforce this.

Contrary to what I earlier said about cutting corners: all neighbour
hexes are involved, not just the above one. But we still can avoid
redrawing the entire display by restricting a hex to extend max 50% of
its neighbours.

The border area may not overlap a border area of non-next door neighbour.
That way rendering a hex requires to add its next door neighbours to draw
list, but no more distant hexes.

The clipping mask can be a rectangle. Sides go through the middle of
edges extending from hex's corners. The edges are between two neighbour
hexes. (Hmm, I'd probably need a picture here...)

Is it possible to support various sizes for hexes?

--
Tatu Rissanen
tatu.rissanen@xxxxxx