Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Hex tileset

To: abies@xxxxxxxxx (Artur Biesiadowski)
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Hex tileset
From: Tatu Rissanen <trident@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 09:27:21 +0200 (EET DST)

> > The graphics spec file with ability to describe several graphics
> > elements for each drawable item would be handy here. Each terrain
> > hex would then be a composition of the base element and transition
> > elements giving a total of 7 graphics elements per terrain.
>
> But how simple overlays would mix with 3d look of mountains etc ?

The fact is that mountain tops has to be drawn on a layer above flat
terrain elements. This requires a lot more from renderer module than
the current system. The renderer has to able to handle lists of graphics
elements per hex putting them on different layers (merging the lists and
ordering them by depth prior drawing).

The trickiest thing the renderer has to able to do is to determinate how
much neighbour hexes are affected by drawing the current hex. The
neighbour hexes could have some elements covering only some layers on
the current hex and visa versa.

I think we could cut corners here: allow graphics to extend only to the
lower part of the above hex. A clipping mask could be used to enforce this.

--
Tatu Rissanen
tatu.rissanen