Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Hex tileset

To: Tatu Rissanen <trident@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Artur Biesiadowski <abies@xxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Hex tileset
From: Jules Bean <jmlb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 21:25:43 +0100

Tatu Rissanen wrote:

> > Maybe something like adding 3 pixel wide border, overlapping neighbour
> > hexes with decreasing alpha at each pixel to merge colors with other
> > terrains would work ?
>
> That would do fine for flat terrains, but problems will arise when
> mountains, trees or anything else extending beyond the hex borders
> has to be drawn. And shores should have special handling, too.
>
> Currently nothing extends beyond tile borders, but I would like to
> see the renderer to be able to do this. Eg. mountain tops could
> slightly cover the above tile giving an impression of 3D.
>
> If all images are clipped to hex borders, the alpha blending would
> actually be an improvement to the current system. Now all terrains
> 'blend' to grassland in spite of actual neighbour terrains.
>
> The graphics spec file with ability to describe several graphics
> elements for each drawable item would be handy here. Each terrain
> hex would then be a composition of the base element and transition
> elements giving a total of 7 graphics elements per terrain.

Personally, I'd suggest a system which uses alpha compositing
exclusively - i.e. do away with the 'transition' tiles.  1 graphic
element per terrain (roads and railways aside).

The idea would be that a 'standard' terrain element is a slightly too
big square - say 34x34 for the 30x30 tileset.  The overlap bits spill
into the tile next door, and should normally be partially transparent.

Sadly,  this doesn't allow you to play the 'pseudo-3D' game.  AFAICS,
that does require some at least semi-intelligent layering code.

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |
|  Julian Bean   | jmlb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx        |  TW9 2TF *UK*       |