Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Idea for 2.0

Cc: Freeciv Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Idea for 2.0
From: Peter Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 12:57:29 +0200

Greg Wooledge wrote:

> Peter Schaefer (schaefer@xxxxxx) wrote:
>
> > The server could store shadows of units for each unit a
> > player has ever seen. A shadow would be a unit with the time it has been
> > spotted(this would be the location it moved to last).
> > The server could clean up duplicates( units spotted in one place
> > that have been spotted elsewhere. )
>
> But how would the client know that the Musketeer it sees now is the same
> one that it saw 20 turns ago and 15 squares away?
>
> What happens if that Musketeer is killed, disbanded or upgraded to
> a Rifleman?  Or changes ownership (either through diplomacy or bribery)?

Well, actually I have to admit I have the idea from playing empire,
where Battleships have names that can be used to distinguish ships,
as long as your opponent does not decide to name two ships the same :-)
It seems realistic and it helps the client not to display 3 shadows in a row
like it might do if an destroyer moved in and out of your sight several times.

--
Peter Schaefer - schaefer@xxxxxx, schaefer@xxxxxx
Finally, it is a good thing to process waste.