Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Idea for 2.0

To: Freeciv Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Idea for 2.0
From: Daniel Sjolie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 14:56:05 +0200

On 1999-07-15 14:11:10, Peter Schaefer wrote:
> A useful discussion...
>
> Generating it in the client and sending for safekeeping is
> bad for traffic reasons.

Well, that depends...
If the client should be anything but stupid we need something like
that... If You think it is unfeisable I'd like to hear it before I spend
to much time doing it... :)
But I realize that sending an entire map each turn might be a little on
the heavy side... :) Maybe You could make it optional... Sending it on
request when the server makes a save should be doable... If You're on a
slower connection maybe You can live with the risk of losing some
stuff... Sure, it's not perfect... But neither is keeping everything in
the server... I think this is a very good example of what *should* go in
the client...

> I think either the server should keep and save a full map view for each
> client,
> or the visibility rules should be modified so that you see
> only the terrain type and cities, if a tile has been explored.
> ( I personally don't terraform much,
>   so forgetting about terragorming would work not too badly.)
> If this is not what civII does, so be it - this is a networked game.

Well, that might work...
But I don't like it if it can be avoided...

/Daniel

--
Now take a deep breath, smile and don't take life so seriously... :)