Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Idea for 2.0

To: Freeciv Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Idea for 2.0
From: Artur Biesiadowski <abies@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 17:11:32 +0200

Greg Wooledge wrote:

> Yes, but that unique ID number is a secret that should be known only to
> the server.  The client should not know it.

Of course not.
In that case server could get away with pointers only. ID is needed to
communicate with client. In other case how would you pass changes in
info about units ? To decrease hp of unit you would need to reference
not simple id, but position on board + number of unit on that field - a
lot of bookeeping. And how to do finding units supported by given city ?
It would have to go through server (and now can be done in client).

IT IS POSSIBLE to do all without ids, but if we will go that way, we may
end with client getting prerendered images from server and sending raw
mouse/keyboard events back (Xserver ?)

Artur