Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Idea for 2.0

Cc: Freeciv Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Idea for 2.0
From: Jules Bean <jmlb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 12:27:35 +0100

Artur Biesiadowski wrote:

> Jules Bean wrote:
>

> > I disagree.  I think that at save game time, the server should ask the
> > client 'is there any data you want to save?'.  And the client should
> > send back its map.  I think it's rather complicated to have the server
> > remember what each client thinks it can see - and additionally it seems
> > less elegant.  In fact, the server could treat the data the client sends
> > back as opaque, and just save it - so clients could be extended to keep
> > more information (statistics, say) and the server would just stick it
> > into the savegame.
>
> Two things.
> - if client crash or lost link and restart, there will be nobody to get
> this information from.
> - I'm not sure if hacked cleint could not use it to gain illegal
> visiblity after load/save; anyway first point is enough I think.
>
> I agree that it would be nice to allow server to save some amount of
> client-specific data from clients (not too much, so civ server would not
> start to be warez servers :). But map visibility should be handled on
> server. It is not a lot of memory - for 100x100 map, it would be about
> 20k for tiles types (know by client), visibility could be recomputed
> dynamically or kept in bitfield (2k) (I think that dynamic checking of
> visibility is better - if we want to later introduce different kinds of
> see each other units). 20k per client isn't that much.

I think you misunderstand me.

Certainly the server should store which squares the client can see.
There's no argument there.

The issue is that the client, to be useful, wants to store what it
*last* saw, for squares which it can't now see.  IMO, it would be
strange for the server to try to keep track of what the client last saw
on each square - it would be cleaner that the client remembers this.

However, your point about lost links is well-taken.

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |
|  Julian Bean   | jmlb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx        |  TW9 2TF *UK*       |