Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Idea for 2.0

To: Freeciv Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Idea for 2.0
From: Daniel Sjolie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 11:03:09 +0200

On 1999-07-15 09:31:23, Jules Bean wrote:
> Greg Wooledge wrote:
> >
> > So, every way I look at it, the server needs to be modified.  It has to
> > be more selective about what information it sends to the player.
> >

> Absolutely.  The server should definitely only send what the player is
> supposed to know.

Indeed, the server should only send information that is visible to the
client... I don't even think the server should keep a record of what the
client 'has' seen, only what it sees... That should make things a lot
easier... 'Old' map info is maintained by the client and sent to the
server for safe keeping whenever appropriate (every turn?)

> > But for fog of war specifically, there's another factor.  The player
> > should be able to see a tile (s)he has already explored, even if it's
> > not updated.  Thus, the client has to keep a copy of the last "version"
> > of a tile sent by the server.  That's all fine, and trivial... until you
> > get to the saved game.  When a game is loaded, and a client reconnects,
> > it should get a copy of the map just like the one it had when the game
> > was saved.  Thus, the server must also know what the client sees -- which
> > means the server must keep a record of every client's "view" of the map.
>
> I disagree.  I think that at save game time, the server should ask the
> client 'is there any data you want to save?'.  And the client should
> send back its map.  I think it's rather complicated to have the server
> remember what each client thinks it can see - and additionally it seems
> less elegant.  In fact, the server could treat the data the client sends
> back as opaque, and just save it - so clients could be extended to keep
> more information (statistics, say) and the server would just stick it
> into the savegame.

As I have noted elsewhere this issue needs to be solved anyway to
implement client side ai... I feel confident that it can be done so in a
good and simple way... And yes, it would be opaque, the server shouldn't
care whether it's a map or an ai attack plan...

/Daniel

--
Now take a deep breath, smile and don't take life so seriously... :)