Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Idea for 2.0

To: Freeciv Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Idea for 2.0
From: Artur Biesiadowski <abies@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 11:58:04 +0200

Jules Bean wrote:

> I disagree.  I think that at save game time, the server should ask the
> client 'is there any data you want to save?'.  And the client should
> send back its map.  I think it's rather complicated to have the server
> remember what each client thinks it can see - and additionally it seems
> less elegant.  In fact, the server could treat the data the client sends
> back as opaque, and just save it - so clients could be extended to keep
> more information (statistics, say) and the server would just stick it
> into the savegame.

Two things.
- if client crash or lost link and restart, there will be nobody to get
this information from.
- I'm not sure if hacked cleint could not use it to gain illegal
visiblity after load/save; anyway first point is enough I think.

I agree that it would be nice to allow server to save some amount of
client-specific data from clients (not too much, so civ server would not
start to be warez servers :). But map visibility should be handled on
server. It is not a lot of memory - for 100x100 map, it would be about
20k for tiles types (know by client), visibility could be recomputed
dynamically or kept in bitfield (2k) (I think that dynamic checking of
visibility is better - if we want to later introduce different kinds of
see each other units). 20k per client isn't that much.

Artur