Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Idea for 2.0

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Idea for 2.0
From: Daniel Sjolie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 12:36:33 +0200

On 1999-07-16 12:14:12, David Pfitzner wrote:
> Artur Biesiadowski wrote:
>
> > Jules Bean wrote:
> >

> > > I disagree.  I think that at save game time, the server should ask the
> > > client 'is there any data you want to save?'.  And the client should
> > > send back its map.
>
> > - if client crash or lost link and restart, there will be nobody to get
> > this information from.
>
> Exactly.  Furthermore, there are also AI players who you may
> want to connect to mid-game, and eg start playing as human.

Which is a problem with all client-side ai...
I suggested the mulitple players per nation thing to solve this...

> If the fog were a client thing, there would be no way to know
> what to display as foggy/how/etc when you first connect.

Sure there would...
The foggy map would be maintained by the nation leader...
You can get all the information You want from that one...

> > I agree that it would be nice to allow server to save some amount of
> > client-specific data from clients
>
> Yeah, in principle, but it could get complicated...

Complicated can be avoided and it is necessary if You
want the client to do anything...

Please, instead of restating problems I have suggested solutions to,
comment on those solutions...

/Daniel

--
Now take a deep breath, smile and don't take life so seriously... :)