Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Internationalization - city names

To: Freeciv Development <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Internationalization - city names
From: Peter Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 14:32:19 +0200

Martin Christensen wrote:

> Peter> It works fine for me as it is now; I think a lot of people will
> Peter> be comfortable with the special characters in latin-1 encoding.
> Peter> Maybe ( guessing ) it would be possible to easily use Unicode
> Peter> in the gtk client.
>
> I have volunteered to do at least part of the Esperanto translation,
> and unfortunately Latin 1 is not enough. I'll either need Latin 3 or
> Unicode... and let's face it: not making FreeCiv Unicode compliant
> serves no purpose. How it's done, or if it's even the domain of the
> present developers is beyond my knowledge.
>
> Martin
>
> --
> Anyone who has realised the importance of Esperanto
> is morally obligated to work for it.
>     - Leo Tolstoi

Of course, if you need latin-3,
please don't let my words keep you from using it.
I have no idea how complex it is to make freeciv
unicode compliant. Freeciv supports a lot of systems;
there must still be a way to use it on systems where
no Unicode is available.

--
Peter Schaefer - schaefer@xxxxxx, schaefer@xxxxxx
Spiegel Online, 12.6.99 -