Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Idea for 2.0

Cc: Freeciv Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Idea for 2.0
From: Peter Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 11:53:11 +0200

Artur Biesiadowski wrote:

> Peter Schaefer wrote:
>

> > Ok, maybe that was not a good enough point - here is a better one:
> > If the client sends the map to the server for safekeeping anyway,
> > why not keep it in the server from the start ?
> >
> > Last time I played on a small connection, downloading
> > the map took very long - so I think yes, it matters.
>
> For now it seems that every map is send by one tile at time. It might be
> good in some cases, but when for example two players exchange maps in
> late game it is an overkill (if I understand it correctly each tile is

Some time ago someone - I think Trent or Mitch - did mention something
about building big packets from small ones.
I thought this did something with the tile packets too.
Maybe the idea was dropped because the authors thought tcp/ip itself
should be smart enough (Nagle Algorithm) to merge small packets during transfer.
Or maybe I did not understand what he was really talking about :-)
More likely.

--
Peter Schaefer - schaefer@xxxxxx, schaefer@xxxxxx
Spiegel Online, 12.6.99 -