Re: [Freeciv-Dev] More civ1-like keyboard control

To: Freeciv Development <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] More civ1-like keyboard control
From: Peter Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 12:40:29 +0200

Per Mathisen wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Peter 'g00bER' Kosinar wrote:
> > I'm new to this mailing-list, so it is possible that you have already
> > discussed this topic. I played Civ1 for quite a long time and as I didn't
> > have mouse (yes, it's possible in to live w/o mouse :) ), I used, among
> > other useful keyboard things, the Shift+kp_direction combos to move the
> > map. However, when I started playing FreeCiv, I found nothing like that.
> > Of course, I know that it is possible to move the map using mouse, but
> > the keyboard is probably faster. (or, if it would be possible to click
> > into the small map in the left top corner, it will be even better). Thus,
> > I changed my freeciv client to support these Shift+kp_dir combos (and also
> > some other presently unsupported keyboard things). And I'd like to ask
> > you, if there is anyone other who would be like the Freeciv to support
> > these combos (ie, should I post the patch or not ?).
>
> Yes, yes, yes... I'd love to play without that stupid mouse.
>
> Yours,
> Per

Keypad movement is supported, but testing last with Xaw3D
it seems the 456 row of the keypad has gone dead or been dead
when I acquired it. The code in both the 1.8.1 gtk and Xaw
client treats 4,6 the same as arrow-left,arrow-right( which works),
so I believe it is not a simple typo in the clients.

Other windows also don't get the keys - you can check this
using xev if you got the exact same problem.
Maybe I'll check again whether it fixed itself
when I've restarted my X one day.

Also try depressing num-lock.

--
Peter Schaefer - schaefer@xxxxxx, schaefer@xxxxxx