[Freeciv-Dev] Gtk+ FreeCiv Server

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Gtk+ FreeCiv Server
From: "Joe Pranevich" <jpranevich@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 13:12:35 -0400
Hello,

I'm not sure if this has already been done, I really don't real the mailing
lists. (And I can't read the list right now, so please direct any replies
directly to me. Thanks.) If it is, I apologise for the spammage.

I have written a gtk front-end to the FreeCiv *server*. Why? I don't know.
Maybe because I'm interested in FreeCiv again and I wanted to see how the
server worked and that was a good a way as any to find out. Right now, it is
complete and it works (you can play a game to completion with it) and a
core-featureset is in place. The patch still needs a lot of work, I have put in
some infrastructure to allow both text and gtk servers to be built from the
same tree, but I'm not done with that bit. SO I'm not going to include a patch
just yet.)

Now, before I get any farther, a little bit of text here to describe what I am
doing for the purposes of legality. (long story)

1. The eventual intent of these patches is to have aGnome-enabled client and
server which can someday be integrated into GNOME. This is unlikely, but that's
a blanket enough mission statement.

2. I'm really not considering this FreeCiv development, rather "Flex Conquest"
development. However, the codebase is similar (identical) and any code that I
consider under that name is GPLed (of course) and can be used in FreeCiv, so
this is probably just a lame attempt at covering my ass. (That being said
however, there are some changes in the configurability department that I would
like to make... someday.)

Here's what works currently:

1. The server currently displays a list of users and is updated when new users
are added or removed from the game.

2. Computer players may be added.

3. A local civclient may be started from the same application.

4. The game may be played in full.

I have to say that certain portions of this port we interesting, especially
moving from a text-based network application to an event-based gtk application.
And I did it all without sniff_packets(). (Mostly because it didn't fit in
well.) Actually, I think that the new code is cleaner, but that's just because
I'm biased.

I had a lot of fun getting this to work. And if my color pallett work work
correctly under RH6.0, I could play the game. I'm sure it would be fun. :)

I'm not ready to release a patch just yet, but anyone that wants a copy of the
cource is welcome to it. Just email it to me and I'll mail it to you tar.gz
file. Can someone verify that the game ends correctly, I've never gone far
enough to test that...

Joe