Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Gtk+ FreeCiv Server

To: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: jpranevich@xxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Gtk+ FreeCiv Server
From: Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 22:55:40 -0400

On Thu, Jul 08, 1999 at 11:41:46AM +1000, David Pfitzner was heard to say:
> > 3. A local civclient may be started from the same application.
>
> This is an especially nice feature, to help users who are confused
> by the client-server nature of things.
>
> Regards,
> -- David

  Personally, I'd rather do things the other way around -- have the client
start a server.  (after all, the client is where users go first to play
the game).  We could do this in the same process (is the server-control
thingy a modular widget?) or in a separate one--I think I prefer the
second option, since the client could then be exited without wreaking havoc
server-side.  [ maybe a screen-like mechanism, whereby you could detach the
server from the GUI and reattach, would be useful?]

  Daniel

--
  "Cogito, ergo sum."

  -- Decartes