Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Gtk+ FreeCiv Server

To: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: jpranevich@xxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Gtk+ FreeCiv Server
From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <bdbryant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 23:43:38 -0500

David Pfitzner wrote:

> Joe Pranevich wrote:
> I'm not sure if it would have been harder, or impractical, but
> what I would have prefered would be a gtk front-end which _runs_
> the text-only server, giving it commands and interpreting its
> output.  Plus any changes to the text-only server to make this
> feasible, if required.

I would have made it run the server from the *client*.  That way, whenever you
want to play you start the client and up pops a menu that says:

    1) start a solo game
    2) join a group game
    3) serve a group game

# 2 would continue just as the client does now.
# 3 would start the server.
# 1 would start the server, and connect the current client to it without any
further prompts.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas