Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] easy AI is too hard (PR#11)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] easy AI is too hard (PR#11)
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 20:08:52 +0200

  Alex,

> But what makes it unbeatable by long time beginners like me (played a
> lot of Civ and CivII games in Chieftain mode, about 30 Freeciv games
> and am still a really bad player. So you can trust me) is it's
> horrible research speed. Even if you make everything you can to learn
> technologies at lightspeed, the AI goes faster.

Until you have reached republic.  After that, the decising factor even
for research speed is whether you manage to expand as fast as it does.

> If you divide this time
> by 2 or 3 (hmmm, 6 in my case (not a joke)), then you've got an
> agressive and expansionist AI that you can manage to beat.

Possibly.  On the other hand, it's at the early stafges that the AI is at
its strongest.  Set researchspeed to 30 (meaning '3 times as slow') and it
will do much better.

> This is
> what beginners want. It's easy to do.

So is increasing the cost of settlers ...

--
Reinier