Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] easy AI is too hard (PR#11)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] easy AI is too hard (PR#11)
From: "beraud" <berauda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 18:37:32 +0200

> It's easy to make an AI that any fool could beat.  Simply don't
>allow it to build Settlers.  The limited army that could be fielded
with
>only 1-2 cities won't be much of a challenge for even the most novice
>players.
> We need to discuss what behaviors people want to see, then work
>towards coding them.

Children, let's listen religiously to a professionnal Freeciv looser.
I mean.... ME. How many times did I tell you tha intelligence on the
AI is NOT the problem. Even in easy mode, the AI shall not be an idiot.
But what makes it unbeatable by long time beginners like me (played a
lot of Civ and CivII games in Chieftain mode, about 30 Freeciv games
and am still a really bad player. So you can trust me) is it's
horrible research speed. Even if you make everything you can to learn
technologies at lightspeed, the AI goes faster. If you divide this time
by 2 or 3 (hmmm, 6 in my case (not a joke)), then you've got an
agressive and expansionist AI that you can manage to beat. This is
what beginners want. It's easy to do. I've done it, but it was not
depending on the ai_level, so someone competent has to do it himself.

It would be a real progress if something could be done at last !

Alex
(do not take care of this e_mail adress)